Library → Archives
The department consists of two related units: the University Archives which houses the official records of the university and other relevant documentation and Special Collections that contains books, journals and other published and unpublished materials related to the university and/or the subject areas in which it collects. These subject areas are defined in the department's Collection Development Policy. The mission statement of the Archives and Special Collections Department supports those of the university and library.
Monday-Friday By Appointment
Archives and Special Collections
Charles W. Chesnutt Library
Fayetteville State University
1200 Murchison Rd
Fayetteville, NC 28301
The Archives and Special Collections Department serves as the repository for the official records of Fayetteville State University and actively participates in the acquisition, arrangement and preservation of materials that document the socio-economic, political and cultural development of African-Americans in the local community, southeastern region and the State of North Carolina. The departmental holdings are available to faculty, students and the public at large providing patrons assistance in the handling and use of primary source materials.
Listed below are the core directives of the department:
• To appraise, collect, arrange and preserve the primary source materials housed in the department.
• To ensure that departmental holdings are available to patrons.
• To provide storage conditions that ensure the security and longevity of departmental holdings.
• To provide record management services to the university and ensure compliance.
• To ensure the department serves as a resource to enhance information literacy and classroom instruction.
• To foster research and scholarship by encouraging the university and community to use our collections.
The department is responsible for the acquisition, management, preservation and dissemination of its holdings and making them available to the university community and the public.
// For More Information on the University Archives
// For More Information on Special Collections