Return to the Fayetteville State University Home Page

Charles W. Chesnutt Library Archives and Special Collections

LibraryArchivesHistory of FSU Campus Buildings

Chronological History of Fayetteville State University Buildings and Structures 1867 - PresentDate

Howard School
Howard School
Named in honor of O. O. Howard, Union General and later Director of the Freedman's Bureau, the school was founded and constructed in 1867 on Gillespie Street. It remained at this location until 1902 when the school moved to a larger property in Ashley Heights.


Aycock Building
Aycock Hall
Named in honor of former Governor Charles B. Aycock, this building was constructed in 1908 on the Murchison Road property. Aycock Hall was also the first brick building to constructed on the new campus after the school re-located from Ashley Height. This one building housed the entire school for two years.


Vance Hall, 1950
Vance Hall 1950
The original Vance was constructed in 1910 and named in honor of Governor Zebulon Vance who had lobbied for the first state appropriation to the school. It functioned as the girl's dormitory and the school's dining hall until 1957 when the building was demolished.

Vance Hall Vance Hall

Vance Hall
The new Vance Hall was constructed on the original site in 1966 as a boy's dormitory.


Smith Administration Building
Smith Administration Building
This building, constructed in 1922, was named in honor President E.E. Smith. Smith housed laboratories, classrooms, an assembly hall and offices.


Bickett Hall
Bickett Hall
This building was constructed in 1922 honor of Governor T. W. Bickett and functioned primarily as a girls dormitory.


Smith Administration and Bickett Girls Dormitory
Smith Administration and Bickett Hall
Scenic view of the E.E. Smith Adminsitration Building and Bickett Girls Dormitory.


Cook Dining Hall Cook Building

Cook Dining Hall
Built in 1923, the building was named in honor of Henry Lilly Cook, a member and later chairman of the school's Board of Trustees. It is the oldest building on campus.


Buildings on Campus, circa 1920's
Buildings on Campus, circa 1920's


Mitchell Industrial Arts Building
Built in 1923, the Industrial Arts Building was named in honor of John W. Mitchell, an Agricultural Specialist. The building was used as classrooms and work areas for industrial and mechanical trades. Building was demolished in the early 1960s.


Presidents' Residence
Presidents' Residence
Constructed in 1924, the building served as the official home of the university's presidents from E.E. Smith to Dr. Charles "A" Lyons.


James M. Paige Alumni House
James M. Paige Alumni House
Built in 1924, this building has been used as the Chancellor's residence, faculty dining and Office of Alumni Affairs.


Alumni Gates, 1925 Alumni Gates, 1925 Alumni Gates, 1925
Alumni Gates

The Alumni Memorial Gates were built in 1925
Joyner Hall Joyner Hall

Joyner Hall

Joyner Hall
This building was constructed in 1930 and named in honor of Dr. J.Y. Joyner, State Superintendent of Public Instruction. Joyner Hall served as the girls' domitory.


Bickett and Joyner Hall, circa 1930s
Bickett and Joyner Hall, circa 1930s


Newbold Laboratory School, circa 1930s
Newbold Laboratory School
This building, constructed in 1930, was named in honor of Dr. N. C. Newbold, the State Director for Negro Education. It housed a grade school, auditorium, cafeteria and offices for Normal student's teacher training.
Chesnutt Library, built in 1937 Chesnutt Library, built in 1937
Chesnutt Library constructed in 1937
Original Chesnutt Library now Telecommunications Building, circa 2003 Original Chesnutt Library now Telecommunications Building, circa 2003 Original Chesnutt Library now Telecommunications Building, circa 2003

Original Chesnutt Library was constructed in 1937 and now  serves as the Telecommunications Building

Chesnutt Library, built in 1968, now Helen Chick Building Chesnutt Library, built in 1968, now Helen Chick Building
Chesnutt Library constructed in 1968 and is now the Helen Chick Building
Chesnutt Library, built in 1987 Chesnutt Library provides information resources.

Chesnutt Library

Chesnutt Library
Originally constructed in 1987, this building is named in honor of Charles Waddell Chesnutt, second principal of the Howard School (1881-83) and renowned African-American author.


Harris Hall Harris Residence Hall

Harris Hall
This building, constructed in 1938, was named in honor of Robert Harris, one of the founders of the Howard School and its first principal. It serves as a girls' dormitory.


Lilly Gymnasium Lilly Gym

Lilly Gymnasium
This building was constructed in 1938 and named in honor of Dr. H. W. Lilly, Secretary-Treasurer of the school's Board of Trustees.


Taylor Science Building
Taylor Science Building
The Taylor Science Building was constructed in 1939 and named in honor of Robert R. Taylor,
the first Black graduate of MIT. Taylor was a member of Booker T. Washington's Tuskegee Cabinet. He became the first Black member of the FSU Board of Trustees in 1937. The Taylor Social Science Annex was built in 1968.


Chesnutt Library, Smith Administration Building and Bickett Hall, circa 1940's
Chesnutt Library, Smith Administration Building and Bickett Hall circa 1940's


James Walker Hood Hall, 1947 Yearbook
James Walker Hood Hall, 1947 Yearbook
Hood Hall Hood Hall

Hood Hall


University Police Department Building
University Police Department Security Building
Built in 1951.


Williams Hall Williams Hall

Williams Hall
Built in 1952 as a mens' dormitory.


Smith Hall Smith Residence Hall

Smith Hall

Smith Hall
Built in 1953 as a dormitory for young women faculty members and named in honor of Nannie L. Smith, wife of E.E. Smith.


Seabrook Auditorium Seabrook Auditorium
Seabrook Auditorium

Seabrook Auditorium
This building was constructed in 1953 and named in honor of Dr. James W. Seabrook, the school's fifth president.


 

Mitchell Building
Mitchell Building

Constructed in 1955 as the Mitchell Pre-School Building, after John W. Mitchell, an Agricultural Specialist. The building currently houses Police and Public Safety.


 

 

 

Spaulding Infirmary

Spaulding Building

Spaulding Infirmary
Named in honor of C. C. Spaulding, the infirmary was constructed in 1955.


 

Rosenthal Fine Arts Building Rosenthal Building

Rosenthal Fine Arts Building
Built in 1966 and named in honor of Emil Rosenthal, a trustee for thirty years who was a Greensboro native.


Bryant Hall Building Bryant Hall

Bryant Hall
Constructed in 1966, the building served as a girls' dormitory. It was named in honor of Professor Dunnie A. Bryant, a dorm matron for 26 years.


J. Knuckles Science Annex Building Joseph Knuckles Science Annex

Joseph Knuckles Science Annex
Built in 1968 and named in honor of Dr. Joseph Knuckles who taught Zoology, Anatomy and Physiology and Parasitology in the Biology Department. Knuckles also served as Department Chair.


Helen T. Chick Building Helen T. Chick Building - Home of the University College
Helen T. Chick Building

Helen T. Chick Building
Originally built in 1968 as a replacement for the original Chesnutt Library, it was renamed in honor of Helen Chick, a Professor of Art.


Lauretta Taylor Building
Lauretta Taylor Gymnasium
Built in 1969, the gym was named in honor of Coach and Instructor Lauretta Taylor. It was previously known as the Women's Gym


Facilities Maintenance Planning and Construction Building
Facilities Maintenance Planning and Construction Building
Originally known as the Physical Plant Building, it was constructed in 1969.


Collins Building
Collins Building
This building, constructed in 1970, was named in honor of William R. Collins, a member of the Board of Trustees for 19 years and the first Trustee Emeritus. It was originally named the E. E. Smith Administration Building.


Barber Building
Barber Building
This building, constructed in 1971, was named in honor of Dr. Carlton J. Barber, a member of the Board of Trustees for 25 years, 5 as Chairman and named Trustee Emeritus.


E. E. Smith Administration Complex
E. E. Smith Administration Complex
Named in 1981


Rudolph Jones Student Center Rudolph Jones Student Center
Rudolph Jones Student Center

Rudolph Jones Student Center
This building depicted in a 1973 black and white photograph was named in honor of Dr. Rudolph Jones, sixth president.


G.L Butler Building   Butler BuildingButler Building

Butler Building
Constructed in 1975, this building was named in honor of Dr. George Lee Butler, a prominent Dentist, Chairman of the Board of Trustees and Fayetteville native.
.


Continuing Education Building - Location of Graduate Studies Continuing Education Building

Continuing Education Building
Built in 1976.


New Residence Hall     New Residence Hall
New Residence Hall
Completed in 1977.


Charles “A” Lyons Science Complex   Lyons Science BuildingCharles “A” Lyons Science Complex

Charles "A" Lyons Science Complex
Constructed in 1981, this building was named in honor of Dr. Lyons, seventh president and the first chancellor.


School of Business and Economics School of Business and Economics

School of Business and Economics
This building was constructed in 1988 and, in 2004, named the Marion "Rex" and Aronul E. Harris School of Business and Economics.


Capel Arena Felton J. Capel Arena

Capel Arena
Health, Physical Education & Recreation Complex or Sports Complex
was constructed in 1995 and named in honor of Felton J. Capel, a Board of Trustee member.


Hackley Honors Hall  

Hackley Honors Hall    Hackley Honors Hall2
Lloyd V. Hackley Honors Hall
This building was constructed as a dormitory in 1997 and named in honor of Chancellor Lloyd V. Hackley.


Bronco Hall
Willis B. McLeod Hall 

This building, constructed in 2005, was formerly known as Bronco Hall.


Book Store 

FSU Book Store in Bronco Square

University Place Apartments University Place Apartments

University Place Apartments

University Place Apartments


FSU Fire Station FSU Fire station

Fayetteville Fire Station at FSU
FSU Fire Station


Lyons Science Annex
Charles "A" Lyons Science Annex


 Renaissance Hall

Renaissance Hall

Nursing Building

 Southeastern North Carolina Nursing Education and Research Center

New Science and Technology Building

New Science and Technology Building 

 

Credits

Content:  Ms. Joan Milligan, Ms. Martha Buie, Ms. Jan Whitfield, Ms. Eloise Vowotor, Ms. Wanda Kendrick

Photographs: FSU Image Bank; captioned photos by Mr. Jonathan McDougald; Chesnutt Archives and Special Collections; and Campus Buildings Floor Plans Web Sites

 

Fayetteville State University1200 Murchison Road • Fayetteville, NC 28301 • 910.672.1111
Copyright © • A Constituent Institution of The University of North CarolinaContact Us