Chesnutt Library Orientation
Chesnutt Library Holdings
- Over 300,000 Book Titles
- Over 2,700 Current Periodical Titles in the Library
- Over 410 Electronic Journal Titles
- Access to over 11,700 Full-Text Electronic Journal Titles through NC Live
- Over 300 Full-Text Article and Information Databases (including magazines, scholarly journals, newspapers, statistics, biographies, reference works, e-books, maps, and streaming video)
The Reference Department
- Staffed by professional librarians.
- Assistance with using reference materials, the online catalog, electronic databases, and basic Internet searching to find books, journal articles and relevant Web sites.
- Over forty-plus computers with Microsoft Office 2007 and Internet capabilities.
- >> Learn More
The Circulation Desk
- Check out library materials (books, DVDs, videos, etc.)
- Return library materials you have borrowed
- Check out Reserve materials
- Check out a laptop computer for use within the library
- >> Learn More
Your Bronco Card serves as your library card. You must have it with you at the circulation desk to check out library materials and to access the computer lab area. >> More Information
The library homepage provides information and access to library services.
Research Tools are services of the library that support research.
Search the online catalog to find books and other materials held by Chesnutt Library.
- Database Finder
Use the Charles W. Chesnutt Database Finder to choose appropriate databases to search for articles, facts, biographies, statistics, e-books and other types of information.
- Journal Finder
Use Journal Finder to determine if Chesnutt Library provides electronic access to a journal, owns a print copy of the journal, find out which other libraries own the journal, and to order copies of articles through Interlibrary Loan.
- Reference Shelf
The Reference Shelf is full of internet resources on a variety of topics that our librarians believe are reliable and useful: Addresses, Phone Numbers, Email; Biography and Genealogy; Books, E-Books, Bookstores, Publishers, and Open Access Journals; Calculators and Converters and Mathematical Formulas; City, County and State Resources; College Guides and Financial Aid; Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Thesauri and Other Reference Web Sites; Ethnic Minority Resources; Federal Resources; Maps and Mapping; News and Newspapers; Radio Stations; Statistical Sources; Style Manuals and Information on Writing Papers; and Television Networks and Stations.
- Course Reserves
Instructors may place materials on reserve for a class. Print and Electronic reserves can be searched by Course Name or Instructor. The reserves are kept at the Circulation Desk and may be checked out for two hours. Electronic reserves may be accessed on campus or off-campus.
- Subject Guides
Subject Guides are a compilation of library and internet resources on a specific topic prepared by the librarians. Subject guides provide a useful starting point as you begin to learn and research a topic.
- Using the Library points you to this subject guide on "Introduction to Library Research."
About the Library provides information about the operation of the library.
- Departments: Contains links to library department web pages.
- Hours: The hours of operation for Chesnutt Library are posted here. Holiday hours are regularly updated.
- Contact Us: This directory page contains the names, titles, phone numbers, and email addresses for the Chesnutt Library Staff.
- Mission/Policies: Here you can read the mission statement and policies of the Chesnutt Library.
- Library Tour: An online tour of the library.
- Friends of the Library: Information about the Friends of the Library.
Services provides links to the services supported by the library.
- Interlibrary Loan:
Interlibrary Loan allows you to borrow books, journal articles, microfilm, ot audio-visual materials from other libraries.
- My Library Record:
My Library Record allows you to check your library status: how many items you currently have checked out and when they are due; the status of your hold requests from UNC-P and UNC-W; and when the semester ends.
- Distance Learners:
Describes library services available to distance learners.
- Off-Campus Access:
Access the Library's Online Resources from off-campus.
- Copyright Information:
Different links to information on copyright laws and the usage of materials.
- Circulation Department: Here you can find information about Circulation services and hours, including reserve items and laptops for checkout.
- Reference Department: Here you can find information about Reference services and hours and the materials (encyclopedia, dictionaries, maps and atlases, style manuals and other materials).
- Government Documents: The Government Documents pages have information on services and hours, and federal and state documents including GPO Access.
- Archives & Special Collections:
Here you can access pages related to the history of FSU from 1867 to the present.
- Suggest a Purchase:
If you find a particularly useful book that the Library does not own, you can suggest a purchase.
News and Newspapers
The News and Newspapers menu provides links to current trial databases (when available) and local newspaper web sites like the Fayetteville Observer and the Raleigh News and Observer. Links are also provided to the Wall Street Journal, and the Washington Post.